Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bought home the gold - two years running!

Hi Everyone :)

For those of you that follow me on facebook, you'd know I entered the Hunter Valley Olive Show again this year, and last week was invited to attend the awards night! Last year I entered one soap, a 100% castille scented with my 'Charm' blend of Lemon Myrtle and Lavender, with Calendula Petals - and last year it won the Gold, Best in Class, and also the trophy Best in Show!

This year we had more soapmakers submit entries, so I was quite excited to meet some new faces and talk soapy shop this time around :)

So this year I entered the same soap that won Gold last year, and a then second soap for the other category, using a recipe that had to have a minimum of 60% olive oil :) I scented this one with my ever popular 'Cherish' blend - Kumquat fragrance and Sweet Orange Essential Oil.

We got there early at 5pm, since I'm now 15 weeks pregnant I wanted to allow for lots of loo breaks during the 2 and a half hour drive haha! The show steward remembered me from last year, and was chatting away, then dropped a bombshell on me saying "Oh by the way, I've added another section to the awards, a Q&A session at the end, and I'd like you to chat about what makes a good soap" - ahhhhhhhhhhh public speaking OMG!!!!!

But it did give me a little hint that I'd done well again in the awards *grin*

As it's an olive show, so there's LOTS of yummy, delicious olive oils, infused ones, flavored ones, gourmet tables olives (my favorite of the night were Kalamata Olives in a garlic infusion = heaven!) tapenades etc - I was getting really hungry!

Then the soap section came up, and the first category was the castille, which I'm proud to say I won the only Gold award in again this year, as well as Best in Class - yay! Then the second category, 60% Olive based soaps came around, and I won the only Gold in that one as well, along with Best in Class, then to top it off, I was awarded Best in Show against all entries for the Cherish soap - woot!

I won't go into detail about my 'talk' - I have a habit of talking waaaaay to fast when I get nervous, so I've no doubt I sounded like a chattering chipmunk, but a few people asked questions, and then came up after to sniff the ones I'd bought with me, and to take some cards and flyers.

So it was a great evening all round, even if a loooooong one - we didn't get home till 10:30pm last night! My hubby was wonderful as always, proudly telling everyone that it's "All her" when asked what he 'did' in our soap business haha - he may not help me with the business directly, but he's my rock and my support, and without him I couldn't have come this far *love*

















9 comments:

Topcat said...

Yay for you! They are both gorgeous soaps too Kathy, of course, and so deserving of your wins :)

Splurge Sisters said...

Congrats and I'm impressed. I find it hard to keep scents strong in a soaps that use a high percentage of olive oil. I just made a 50% olive oil one and the scent has stayed in that one.

Teresa said...

Beautiful soap, Kathy!

Chris Fenwick said...

Good for you Kathy, your soaps are so beautiful I love them !! hope all is going well with the "bump" lol
Hugs
Chris

Ambra said...

I'm not surprised. Your soap are beautiful and have very tempting scent descriptions. We so need a scratch and sniff internet :)

Seifenr├╝hrer said...

Hallo Katy,
I admire your soaps for a long time. They are just great.
How are you doing this topping? Get your soaps a gel phase? For me everything is always collaps.

Sorry for my bad Englisch.
Sylvie

Kathy@Beguile said...

Aww thanks everyone! Sylvie, all my soaps go through a full gel yes - it's all about getting your soap to THICK trace before you use a spoon, knife, whisk, chopsticks or many other tools to 'peak' and swirl the top layer to get a textured top :)
Your english is very good - plus you know more lanuguages than I do!

Kathy :)

Seifenr├╝hrer said...

Hi Kathy
thanks for the reply.
I will do it next time as you have written.
With practice, it is hopefully something.
Best regards from the Black Forest in Germany and congratulations on pregnancy.
Sylvie

hex1 said...

Hallo, Kathy
verry nice ,
a dream of soaps..
Sibylle ;-)